Acupuncture can be traced back to ancient China some 4000 years ago.
It treats patients by manipulating thin, solid needles inserted into the skin that are used to balance the flow of energy within the body.
The Program enhances a couple’s fertility and increases their chances of becoming pregnant.
How does it work?
Oriental medicine has improved people’s fertility for thousands of years by balancing the flow of energy within the body.
The body functions at its best when it is in balance: the organs work well, sleep is restful, the immune system is strong, recovery from injury is fast and the reproductive system works as it should.
This balance can easily be disturbed.
Imbalance leads to problems, including infertility.
Acupuncture aims to correct this and recent studies indicate that it can increase pregnancy rates.
Does it hurt?
It is unfortunate that the needles used to draw blood or do an injection share the same name as those used in acupuncture because the experience is very different.
Nobody likes needles because they usually hurt.
The needles used in acupuncture are thinner (about as thick as a hair) and usually patients cannot even feel them being inserted.
A small pinch for a second or two may be felt, as the needle pierces the skin. Once the needles are in place, no pain is felt and patients typically experience a state of deep relaxation.
How can acupuncture help with fertility?
It can help during all the stages of fertility treatment – from conception until birth.
Acupuncture helps couples trying to conceive naturally by:
• regulating the menstrual cycle – this allows the couple to predict ovulation
• increasing the flow of blood to the uterus and increasing the thickness of the endometrium – this creates a more “hospitable” environment for the implanting embryo
• improving sperm count, motility and morphology of spermatozoa within a sperm sample
• relieving stress
Acupuncture helps couples undergoing assisted reproduction (such as IUI, IVF, etc.) by:
• regulating hormone levels (e.g. elevated FSH levels)
• improving ovarian response
• minimizing the side effects of hormone therapy
• strengthening the immune system
• improving the success rates of IVF
• reducing the chances of miscarriage and increasing live birth rates
Acupuncture during pregnancy may:
• relieve morning sickness
• relieve back pain
• relieve pain following childbirth and postpartum depression
• help with breastfeeding
• reduce the chances of miscarriage and increase live birth rates